Before you start this webquest you will need to print out the worksheet for your answers
Read each question carefully, then follow the links to find the information requested.
Use the "Back" button on your web browser (or the Return key on your key board) to return to this page when you have completed a task.
Good luck and enjoy finding out about Australia!
1. Read about continents then complete the map and colour France in blue and Australia in red.
AFRICA – ANTARTICA - ASIA – AUSTRALIA – EQUADOR – EUROPE – NORTH AMERICA – THE NORTH POLE – SOUTH AMERICA – THE SOUTH POLE
- Which hemisphere is Australia in?
- So when its winter in France, it's ………………………………………… in Australia.
2. Complete the map of Australia
- Australia is composed of ………………… states and …………………. territories.
- What is the capital city of Australia?
- Which are the largest cities?
- How many people are there in Australia?
- What is the nickname of Australia? Why?
3. Colour the Australian Flag
- Why is there the British flag on the upper left corner?
- What do the 5 stars represent? Why?
- What does the Commonwealth star symbolize?
4. What is the currency in Australia?
In France we pay in Euros, in Australia they pay in ………………………………………………………………….
5. Government in Australia
- Who is the «Head of State» of Australia?
- Who represents her when she is not there?
- Who runs the country? Who is the Head of the Government?
- Who are they?
- Look at the aboriginal flag
- The black represents
- The red represents
- The yellow represents
- What's a "didgeridoo"?
- What's a boomerang used for?
- What is its aboriginal name?
- Why is it so important for the aborigines?
- How high, how old and how long is it?
8. The Flying Doctors
- Who are they?
- What do they do?
- What is it?
10. The Animals
- Write the names of these Australian animals
- what are "dingoes"
- Where do they live?
- What do they eat?
- Choose an animal and write a few lines about it
- What is the "outback"?
- What are there in the outback?
- What can you see in Sydney?
- What is the most famous touristic place near Cairns?
Get more information here
The Australians speak English but some words or expresssions can be different: it’s Australian slang.
Can you find the Australian slang words for these English words?
|English / Australian||Australian / English|
- Australians are very sporty. What sports do they practice?
14. The 2003 Rugby World Cup
- Which group was France in? Write the names of the other teams.
- Which group was Australia in? Write the names of the other teams.
- Which group was England in? Write the names of the other teams.
- Which group was New Zealand in? Write the names of the other teams.
Play this matching game then match the emblem with the team in the table below.
Now click on the emblems to find information about each team. Give the name of the team.
- When and where did France play?
- When and where did Australia play?
This Webquest created by Nathalie Vezon, professeur d'anglais dans le Gard. Adapted for the web by Darren Rigby